Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Review: Rue Paris (Educa, 5000pc)

Completed puzzle is 62.1" wide by 42" tall

Description
Title Rue Paris
Artist Dominic Davison
Brand Educa
No. of pieces 5000
Piece cut type Ribbon/Random
Price/Retailer $59.99 from Amazon

Analysis

Having successfully completed my first 5K challenge, I think it's fair to say it's been a productive summer so far.

Main part of the challenge here is finding space large enough to accomodate a puzzle this size - more than 5 feet wide! The pieces arrive in a single plastic bag, so there isn't the "space saver" option of working on each half separately. I ended up cutting and pasting together a couple of 40" x 60" styrofoam boards to use as a workspace on the floor.

In terms of difficulty, the space issue is probably the trickiest part. Its pieces-per-square-inch ratio comes out to 1.92, so the difficulty of the puzzle itself is on par with Oceanic Wonders (1.95) and of course well below that of Cherry Jam (3.09).

The puzzle quality was disappointing. One thing to note that a bottle of Elmer's glue will come in handy with this puzzle (at least it did for me). As you can see from the photos, there are several areas with chipped pieces and weathered edges. Multiple times I found myself wondering if perhaps I was working on a second-hand puzzle. I mean, look at all of that wear 'n tear!



Most of the pieces were fully interlocking, but there were also non-interlocking ones in the mix, as you can see above. The interlocking pieces have a snug fit, though it felt a bit looser in certain parts where there is a higher concentration of dog-eared pieces.

So overall in terms of construction quality, without a doubt the puzzle fell short of expectations, which were high because previously I had read only positive things about the Educa brand.

Hopefully the quality of this set is just an anomaly. Rue Paris is the first Educa puzzle I've worked on, but I'm planning to try out a few more, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Final Evaluation - 2.5/5 stars
Craftsmanship - 2.5/5 stars
Difficulty - 2.5/5 stars

No comments: